Moving to a new apartment can be overwhelming. The packaging process is usually stressful and requires tedious work, especially if you have a lot of property. Zurich is the largest city in Switzerland. Even with a relatively small population, it ranks among the best attractions in the world and has wonderful accommodation facilities. If you’re moving to the city of Zurich, here’s a checklist to consider:
- Find your home in Zurich’s best neighborhoods: Getting to a better, serene and peaceful neighborhood is what you need to consider when you’re thinking about moving. This is why you should buy an apartment in places like Horgen, Zollikon, Enge, Ruschlikon and Wadenswil. These neighborhoods have many multilingual speakers, which will significantly benefit new residents. They also have excellent schools where you can register your children if you have any.
- Check out housing options: It’s a smart decision to do enough research on your housing options before moving to Zurich. Would you like to stay in a fully furnished, unfurnished or unfurnished apartment? Do you want live privately or share a flat? It all depends on your budget, but it is important to note that most properties in Zurich are unfurnished. Private living can also be quite expensive. Students can stay in student residences because they are cheaper and more convenient.
- Notify all necessary parties for relocation: Before you leave your current residential location, it is important to notify all important persons. Inform everyone around you — your landlord, the traffic bureau, your telephone company, the post office, your employer (if you have one), and your children’s school authorities (if you have children) — of your decision. Sort all appointments that need to be made before you leave. Terminate your lease with your landlord by registered letter. Also notify your electricity, gas and water supplier so they can take a final meter reading and stop sending bills in your name when you leave the apartment.
- Partner with a good moving company: Now is the time to move and you can’t do all the work alone! Choosing a good moving company to handle all your belongings is essential. For efficient and cheap services, moving companies in Zurich such as: BlitzTransport or Umzugsfirma.Zurich are good recommendations. Fully insured, professional, reliable and affordable, these companies offer a 10% discount on clearance, disposal and cleaning. They use high quality moving boxes that will not damage your properties. Although they have strong and fast movers, they use furniture lifts to move your furniture. A good thing to know is that they have different packages depending on your financial level and budget.
- Report to your new district office: If you travel to different places within Zurich, you must report your move to your new district office within 14 days of moving. You can do this in person or over the internet. However, it is not necessary to deregister from your previous district office.
- Attend social events for new residents: Now you are all settled in your apartment, but you are not yet familiar with your new surroundings. In Zurich, most communities organize social events for newcomers where they can ask questions and get quick solutions to problems they may face as new residents. These communities also have special integration workers who help newcomers to feel comfortable in their new environment. They even have information centers that offer services in several languages for new residents who may not speak German.
Having the right information will reduce your stress as you move into your new apartment. It will also help you settle down faster and integrate more easily into the environment. That’s why you should make the content of this article the most important part of your checklist if you’re moving within Zurich. This way you experience all the beauty and tranquility in the city of Zurich.