Have you started writing Christmas cards for dear friends and family? If you haven’t yet, you may want to add some pizzaz to your holiday greetings by writing them down in different languages.
The phrase “Merry Christmas” is the most common greeting used by probably all the people in the world to wish somebody a joyful celebration of one of the most important and festive events of the year.
“Merry Christmas” has been used in so many songs and poems. But it was said to be first popularized by Charles Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol” in 1843. There were other several theories of the phrase’s origin, saying it’s been used since at least 1534.
No one’s entirely certain. We surely know, thought, that “Merry Christmas” implies sincere and heartfelt wishes.
No matter how you say it or whatever language you use to express “Merry Christmas”, if it comes from the heart, it will always be felt.
Just for some fun this yuletide season, why not learn and use a different language.
- Joyeux Noël! (France)
- Buon Natale! (Italy)
- Frohe Weihnachten! (Germany, Austria, Switzerland)
- Feliz Navidad! (Spain and Gibraltar, Mexico and Central America; South America)
- Nollaig Shona Dhuit! (Ireland)
- Kirismas Wanaagsan (Somalia)
- God jul (Sweden)
- Веселого Різдва (Ukraine)
- Boas Festas! (Portugal)
- Zalig Kerstfeest! Belgium)
- Prettige Kerstdagen/ Zalig Kerstfeest! (Netherlands)
- Wesolych Swiat (Poland)
- Gëzuar Krishlindjet! (Albania)
- Eftihismena Christougenna! (Greece)
- Sretan Bozic! (Croatia)
- Craciun Fericit! (Romania, Moldova)
- Merii Kurisumasu! (Japan)
- Kung His Hsin Nien Bing Chu Shen Tan China! (China)
- S̄uk̄hs̄ạnt̒ wạn khris̄t̒mās̄! (Thailand)
- Sung Tan Chuk Ha! (Korea)
- Chuc Mung Giang Sinh! (Vietnam)
- Karisama te nawāṃ sāla khušayāṃwālā hewe! (India, Pakistan)
- Glaedelig Jul! (Denmark)
- Rôômsaid Jôule! (Estonia)
- Gleðileg jól! (Iceland)
- Maligayang Pasko (Philippines)
Wait, is “Happy Christmas” also a widely used and recognized greeting?
Well, there’s really nothing wrong with it. England uses the term as it is believed to have a higher class connotation.
The royal family has adopted “Happy Christmas” as their preferred greeting. Each year, Queen Elizabeth continues to wish her citizens a “Happy Christmas”.
Watch Queen Elizabeth’s 2019 Christmas greetings below.